Sep 3, 2012

Tea drinking


Todays post is going to be a little bit different. I've already posted some exercise information, so now let's talk a little bit about someting else. Todays topic is tea, and more specificaly benefits and losses of drinking tea for your body. I've got to say that I really love drinking tea. Especially during winter. My favourite would be lemon green tea, or just regular tea with a slice of lemon. There are many different opinions from different people, some say that tea is great for your body, some say that it's not. I've done some research and here's what I found. Enjoy!


Let's start with some basic information about tea. Growing and drinking tea originated in Asia. It is said to be the most consumed beverage in the world, right after water. There are many types of tea (i.e. green tea, black tea, white tea, flavored tea etc.) and many ways of making and serving tea (i.e. with or without sugar, with a slice of lemon, with ice etc.), but we're here to find out about the influence of tea on our health. (while writing this, I actually went to make myself a cup of tea)


Why you should drink tea?

  • Fluoride - Healthy bones, healthy smile. Now you don't need milk for that!

  • Catechins - The ones in tea can help prevent various types of cancer (i.e. liver, skin, prostate, breast, digestive, bladder and a lot more). Ok, that would already convince me to start drinking tea every day. If you're not convinced yet, keep reading.

  • Lower cholesterol - Yup, no strokes or other hearth diseases for tea drinkers. Seriously, do I need to go on?

  • Tea calms nerves - Tea has a little something called "L-theanine" that reduces stress. A cup of tea during a stressful day at work or after workout would be fantastic.

  • Vitamins - B, C, E, K and a lot more!

  • Boosts your immune system - Great, now I can go for a jog during winter and I won't catch a cold!

  • Exercise and tea - So you probably already figured out that tea can help you speed up the burning fat process. Especially green tea, so go buy yourself a pack or two. Second thing thats very important is the fact that tea doesn't dehydrate you. So, like a said before It's great to drink tea after workout!
These are only some of the benefits of tea drinking. I could go on and on about this, but someone has to go work out in an hour!




Why you shouldn't drink too much tea?

  • Caffeine - Well, tea contains caffeine (which keeps us alert and awake but is toxic in high doses), but it's way less than in regular coffe or energy drinks. So it's actually not that bad, assuming you don't drink 10 litres of tea every day.

  • Fluoride and aluminium - Fluoride intake can cause osteofluorosis (damage to the bones) and aluminium intake can cause even death. Sounds scary, right? Well its not that bad. Actually nobody died from aluminium contained in tea. At least nobody I ever heard of... Fluoride and aluminium are mostly contained in the old leaves of tea. So that's why we see "hand-gathered tea" in advertisments. It's because people who gather tea, will always take the young, fresh leaves and throw the old ones away. Anyways intoxication from fluoride and aluminium might happen if you drink a bathtub full of tea made out of old leaves. That's very unlikely to happen, but on the other hand I've seen many strange things on the internet...

  • Oxalates - Ok, these may cause kidney stones. No worries here too. You would have to drink like 2 bathtubs of tea per day. I've gotta check guiness world record book, maybe someone did this actually...

  • Burnt tongue - I actually suffer from this from time to time. Someone discovered "ice tea" for people like me.

Tea plantation in India.

So here you got it folks. Tea is great for your body, overall health, can prevent serious deseases, and it's tasty! There are some disadvantages of drinking tea, but you just have to take it in moderation, like everything in life I guess. A cup or two every day is best, at least I drink that much and I'm healthy. Well actually I drank 3 cups of tea while writing this article, but that's only because of thinking so much about tea. Wait till I make an article about beer... Anyways, I hope you enjoyed reading this article and see you next time with more!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

very nice post.
i drink 1L of green tea every morning.

i do have to mention that fluoride is not good, but actually harmful for your bones.
but that won't be significant unless you drink 5L/day for years

Unknown said...

Green tea is really a super food I drink some every chance I get. Even the disadvantages you mentioned would require "bathtubs of tea" before the effects really start. Great article!

Labels

advanced (5) back (8) bar (4) begginer (4) bicep (7) bodyweight exercise (9) calves (1) chest (7) diet (1) drink (1) exercise (4) forearm (7) grip (7) hamstring (2) health (1) intermediate (4) lats (6) legs (2) motivation (1) pull up (5) push (7) push up (7) quads (3) row (3) shoulders (8) squat (1) strength training (7) training (2) triceps (7) upper body (9)